Thursday, February 12, 2015

Postive and Negative Cuts


Brrrrr. We are in yet another deep freeze warning…..and will be for at least 10 days apparently. And making it worse is the wind – straight out of the north and making it even colder.

For some odd reason both Joe and I woke up groggy this morning. I think we slept too deeply too late and we find it hard to get motivated when that happens. About 10:30 I told him  I was going to go to Michaels after lunch to see if they had any quilt batting. He looked at me like I was crazy, “What? Are you serious? It’s -12C (10F) and with the wind it’s more like -20C (4F)!” “Well”, I said, “I have a warm coat and the car has a heater and I’m not sure what I feel like doing so I’m going out!” He usually comes with me when we do errands but he shook his head and told me I was on my own. He was staying put. But then he says, “Well, while you are out why not stop and pick up some milk, eggs and yogurt so we don’t have to worry about running out!” Mmmmmhhhh I think this quick trip to Michaels is going to get longer and longer before I go.
 
Speaking of Michaels, I found out today that Michaels has a 10% every day senior’s discount for those over 55. She ran up my bill and I asked if she gave me the discount and said she scanned the discount but it was not valid on this purchase. Okay, I bought two things -  one using a 40% off coupon and one clearance item - so obviously the senior’s discount only applies to regular priced items without any other discount……does anyone actually buy anything there at the regular price??? Not me, no coupon, no clearance, no buy! Yup, colour me cheap! One of the other stops I made was to Target to see if they had an ironing board cover on sale. They are leaving Canada and having a liquidation sale. Hah! Some liquidation sale - sorry Target but 10% off is not a liquidation sale; it's a joke!
 
Well I made it safely to Michaels, got some batting, made a few other stops and now I’m back home ready to do something…..but not sure what yet. While I’m deciding what to do and drinking my tea, I’m going to post today’s card.


My friend and I traded some Memory Box dies to see if we liked them enough to buy our own. This one is so nice it immediately went on my list of “I must have this” and right now our local scrapbook store has a 25% off sale so if it’s available tomorrow I may just treat myself. The die cut through the dark blue cardstock with no problem at all. It cuts out the happy and leaves it as a positive cut and birthday is in the negative space. I took a white card base and ran just the front of it through an embossing folder; then glued on the cut piece. It needed something else so I punched a corner treatment (Stampin’ Up punch) out of the same dark blue and added it. Now it looks balanced. The more I see of this card, the more I want that die! I saved the positive ‘birthday” pieces too and I used them on another card that I’ll post another day. I hate to waste anything as you know!

This card is being entered into the Scrappy Land challenge: http://www.scrapyland-blog.com/

That’s all for a very cold Thursday

Cheers

Violet

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I love this black and white card with that die! Very nice! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrapy Land Challenge #11!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrr! We were surprised with a hard freeze this morning - but nothing like you! Yikes! (I am in Florida). Violet, I love your classy, pretty birthday card. Great textures and wonderful use of alternating colors in an unexpected way!

    Thanks for playing in the Scrapy Land Challenge using die cuts! I hope to see more of your pretty projects in the next challenge, too! hugs and blessings, de {Creative Smiles}

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...