Wednesday, May 24, 2017

A bleak day....and a card


It’s a bleak, rainy day here in Ontario and Joe has come down with a cold......and he went all winter without a cold and he gets one now!......and the Cogeco phone lines are down throughout most of Ontario I think….so I’m using the cell phone today which I don’t usually even turn on except when we are biking, hiking and travelling……so it’s just one of those days!



I did go down to the lower studio and made a couple of cards today because Joe’s on the sofa trying to rest and I didn’t think he needed to hear the sewing machine buzzing all afternoon.



I had a question in the comments on the last post and although I answered her directly, I will answer here as well in case others wondered the same thing. She asked how I cleaned my feathers to make sure they were free of mites before using them and unfortunately I don’t have an answer for her because…. fortunately for me…my friend’s relatives who hunt do all the cleaning before the come to me. I’ve had them for a couple of years and they are as fresh as the day she gave them to me. However, her question peaked my interest so I had to do an Internet search and this is what I found.

 
How to clean feathers for crafts?

Steps to Clean the Feathers:
1.                             Fill the bucket or tub with warm water.
2.                             Add a small amount of Woolite and agitate the water to mix.
3.                             Swish the feathers around in the water. Do NOT scrub the feathers as this will damage them.
4.                             Rinse by swishing in clean water.
5.                             Reshape the feathers.
6.                             Dry with a blow dryer on a low setting.

  
Hope this helps! If you have a crafting question, feel free to leave it in the comments and if I have the answer, I’ll be happy to share it. Now here’s today’s card.






Unfortunately I and others are always in need of sympathy cards so I do make a lot of them. This one started with a piece of water colour paper that I splashed some paint on and decided it would be a nice background for the Stampin’ Up stamp.  Then I used a Tim Holtz stamp for the birds. It was then mounted onto black cardstock. The ribbon label was die cut (Spellbinders) out from the middle of the same piece of black cardstock that was covered up with the painted panel……why waste it! I stamped the sentiment and hand cut it to fit inside the label. The ribbon is from my stash. The background is two pieces of paper from a 6” pack that were taped together at the back and then cut down to a 5 ½” square. A silver peel-off strip was added over the seam and three black dew drops were glued to the top right.



That’s all for a rainy, cool Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Cheers

Violet



Don’t forget you are more than welcome to save any cards or other items I post to your Pinterest account for future reference. Simply place the curser over the picture until the Pinterest save sign shows up in the top left corner and enter. This will take you to your Pinterest account. If it doesn’t work, please leave a comment and let me know so I fix it. Thanks.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...